On Thursday, February 15, 2018, shortly after 5:00 PM the Fire Commissioners of the Southern Manatee Fire Rescue District conducted the official swearing-in and badge pinning ceremony for their ten (10) new Firefighter/EMT’s/Paramedic’s.

Debbie Tuckerman conducts the official swearing-in and then family members of our new personnel complete the officially pinning of their badges.

The nine (9) of these Firefighters are being funded through a 3 year Federal SAFER grant. This grant provides 75% of cost in years 1 and 2 and the District funds the remaining 25% and then in year 3, this grant provides 35% of the cost and the District funds 65%. Then starting in year 4, the District is responsible for 100% of the cost.

This SAFER grant allows us to staff Haz-mat 1 (Squad 328) 24/7, prior to this grant, this apparatus was not staffed. Now that it is staffed, Squad 328 runs out of Station #2 and runs on fire, medical and hazardous materials calls and enhances the depth of deployable resources for the District. On structure fire responses, Squad 328 personnel act as our RIC Team.

Squad 328 will be replaced in 2019 with a Heavy Rescue Engine that will enhance our service delivery to our citizens by being able to provide a multitude of services to our citizens.

Skip to content